Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Victory in 9

In a game of speed chess, I used a sacrifice to win my opponent's queen.  My opponent, who played black, was Cravox of Brazil.  Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1.  e4 c5
2.  d4 cxd
3.  c3 dxc
4.  Nxc3 d6
5.  Nf3 Nf6
6.  Bc4 g6

It is better for black to play e6 in order to challenge my bishop's control of the a2-g8 diagonal.

7.  e5 dxe

Black probably expects me to play Qxd8+ on my eighth move, but I have a better option.

8.  Bxf7+ Kxf7

Black's move is forced.

9. Qxd8

With the loss of his queen, black decides to resign.  Black fails to anticipate my bishop sacrifice which wins the black queen.  I also sacrifice two pawns for a lead in development, but the bishop sacrifice is the one which decides the game.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...