Monday, May 27, 2013

Bishop Sacrifice

I recently won a game of speed chess with a bishop sacrifice.   My opponent, Pacontono of Colombia, played black.  Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bc4 Nf6

Black plays the Two Knights Defence.  Here it is more common for black to play Bc5.

4. 0-0 Nxe4

White usually plays Ng5 here, but I choose to castle.

5. d4 Na5

Black probably expects me to play Bb3, but I decide to sacrifice the bishop.  The black knight is out of position, the black king has not castled and I can gain two pains for the sacrificed piece.  Also, the sacrifice takes away black's right to castle.

6. Bxf7+ Kxf7
7. Nxe5+ Ke8
8. Qf3 Nf6

Black saves the knight and prevents mate.

9. Bg5 Be7
10. Re1 Rf8
11. Bxf6 Rxf6

I capture the black knight to remove a defender of the king and check black on my next move.

12. Qh5+ g6
13. Qxh7 d6
14. Nxg6 Kd7

Black wants to find a safe square for the king.

15. Rxe7+ Kc6
16. Nc3 b6

I move another piece close to the enemy king.  Black plays b6 with the hope of developing the bishop and creating an escape square for the king.

17. b4 Nc4
18. b5+ Kb7
19. Nd5 Rf8

Black has four pieces on the back rank.

20. Rxc7+ Kb8

Black's move is forced.

21. Nge7 Rh8

I can ignore the threat to my queen because I have mate in one.

22. Nc6#

I mate black with a decisive bishop sacrifice.  Black decides to capture my bishop on his fifth move with Na5, but this is a mistake.  It allows me to play a sacrifice that leaves the knight out of position and subjects the black king to an irresistible attack.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...