Sunday, August 26, 2012

Victory with a Check

In a game of speed chess against Dingdone of Canada, I checked his uncastled king to turn the game in my favour.  In this game he played white.  Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1.  d4 Nf6
2.  Nc3 d5

White usually plays c4 here.

3.  Bg5 e6
4.  e4 h6
5.  Bxf6 gxf6
6.  exd exd
7.  Bd3 Be7

With the open g-file, I do not wish to castle kingside.

8.  h3 Be6
9.  Nf3 Nc6
10. Bb5 Qd6
11. Qe2 0-0-0
12. Bxc6 Qxc6

Black's decision to give up another bishop is committal.

13. a3 Kb8
14. Nd2 Rhe8
15. Nb3 Bd6

My bishop now controls more squares.

16. Qb5 Bd7+

Black wants to exchange queens but I do not cooperate.  I exploit the position of the uncastled king and put black in check.

17. Ne2 Qxb5

Black blocks the check with his knight but this removes the protection of his queen.  A better move for black is to move the king (Kd2 connects the rooks) but even with this move, he loses a piece.  Down a queen, black has no desire to continue and resigns.

Black's failure to castle is the reason for his quick loss.  My sixteenth move puts him on the defensive and gives him a losing position.  This game illustrates the importance of keeping the king safe.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...