Saturday, September 28, 2013

Two Sacrifices

In a game of speed chess I sacrificed my knight and bishop for victory. My opponent, Suitmaker of the USA, played black. Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 d6
3. d4 f6

Black makes a bad move. It is better to play exd.

4. dxe fxe

Black does not want to play dxe because then I capture his queen and take away his right to castle. However, fxe allows a knight sacrifice for a strong attack.

5. Nxe5 dxe
6. Qh5+ Kd7

Now it is difficult for black to protect the king.

7. Bb5+ c6
8. Ba4 Bd6
9. 0-0 Kc7
10. Nc3 h6

Black prevents Bg5, but he is far behind in development.

11. Be3 Nf6
12. Qe2 Qe7
13. a3 Bg4

The threat to my queen is easily countered.

14. f3 Bd7
15. b4 Na6

I begin an attack on the queenside.

16. b5 Nc5
17. bxc bxc
18. Bxc5 Bxc5+

I give the initiative to black. Here Kh1 is better.

19. Kh1 Bd4

I am on the defensive.

20. Qd3 Rad8
21. Rab1 Bb6

Black blocks the b-file.

22. Qa6 Bc8
23. Qc4 Rd4
24. Qb3 Rhd8

Nb5+ wins the rook but I miss this move.

25. Bxc6 Kxc6

I sacrifice my bishop to further expose the black king and strengthen my control of the b-file.

26. Qb5+ Kb7
27. a4 Ka8

I advance a pawn against the pinned bishop. It is understandable that black wants to move the king out of the pin, but this move is a mistake because he cannot defend b8. Here black needs to play Be6 so that the rook on d8 can defend the back rank.

28. a5 Bc5
29. Qb8#

This game features two sacrifices and a blunder by black on the third move. Black loses because his king is too exposed and his pieces lack development. Even so, I make a few inaccuracies which briefly allow black to seize the initiative. Fortunately for me, though, black's initiative is short-lived.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...