Monday, June 25, 2012

Opening Blunder

In a game of speed chess at chess.com, my opponent MuratMihcioglu of Turkey made a blunder in the opening which was swiftly punished.  Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 f6

My opponent makes a very bad move.  The problem is that his king is in the centre and I can sacrifice my knight to open lines of attack.

3. Nxe5 fxe5
4. Qh5+ Ke7

It is usually not a good idea to bring the queen out so early in a game, but here it is a strong move.

5. Qxe5+ Kf7
6. Bc4+  Kg6
7. Qf5+ Kh6
8. d4+  g5

This is my fifth check in a row.

9. h4 Kg7

The black king tries to escape.

10. Qf7+ Kh6

I force the king back into the corner.

11. hxg#

The black king is checked by both the rook and the pawn.

Experienced players know that after 1. e4 e5 Nf3 black must not play f6.  Unlike d6, the move f6 exposes the white king to a deadly attack after Nxe5.  I take full advantage of my opponent's blunder and mate on my eleventh move.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...