Thursday, August 25, 2011

Early Resignation

I played a game of speed chess at chess.com which only lasted nine moves. My opponent was Zhenek of Russia who played black. He decided to resign rather than play on. Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Bc5

It is unusual for black to move the bishop so early. A more common move here is Nf6 which attacks the white king pawn.

3. c3 Nc6
4. Bc4 h6
5. 0-0 Nf6
6. d4 exd
7. cxd Na5

I expect black to move his bishop but instead he attacks mine with his knight. His king is in the centre of the board, so I take advantage.

8. Bxf7+ Kxf7
9. dxc Nxe4

Though material is even, black resigns. He notices that I can play Qd5+ on my next move which allows me to capture his knight with Qxe4 on the following move. Another possibility is Qe1 which forks the black knights on a5 and e4. I prefer Qd5+ because it is a more forceful move. I win quickly because the black knights are clearly uncoordinated and unprotected, the black king is too exposed and I can win material with my next move.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...