Sunday, April 9, 2023

Poem (If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking)

The American poet Emily Dickinson wrote many beautiful poems. The poem If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking is known by the first verse, but it is untitled. It is a short poem with only seven verses.

If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not die in vain.

The poem addresses the meaning of life. In a world full of sorrow, the narrator considers sympathy and compassion towards others ways of living a life with purpose. The poem reminds us that we can help others to overcome sadness.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...