Saturday, October 15, 2022

Hungarian Personal Suffix

The Hungarian personal suffix is -lak/-lek. The first variant is used with verbs that contain front vowels, and the second with verbs that contain back vowels. It is a personal suffix because it is used when the subject pronoun is the first person singular and the object pronoun is the second person singular or the second person plural.

Here are five sentences with the personal suffix:

Hallak. I hear you.
Ismerlek. I know you.
Látlak. I see you.
Szeretlek. I love you.
Várlak. I'm waiting for you.

It is not necessary to use the subject pronoun because -lak/-lek is only used with the first person subject pronoun. The object pronoun can be either the second person singular or plural. If it is necessary to clarify, the accusative pronoun can be added. To say I see you with the second person plural object pronoun, the sentence is Látlak titeket. The subject pronoun can also be added and then the sentence becomes Én látlak titeket. The personal pronouns can also be added for emphasis.

The personal suffix can be used with all verb tenses. Here are examples with the past tense and the future tense:

Kerestelek. I was looking for you.
Láttalak. I saw you.

Keresni foglak. I'll look for you.
Látni foglak. I'll see you.

The Hungarian language has a personal suffix. It attaches to verbs with a first person subject pronoun and second person object pronoun. Entire sentences such as I love you can be expressed in Hungarian with one word.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...