Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Storm

Sara Teasdale wrote The Storm. Here is the poem:

The Storm

I thought of you when I was wakened
By a wind that made me glad and afraid
Of the rushing, pouring sound of the sea
That the great trees made.

One thought in my mind went over and over
While the darkness shook and the leaves were thinned--
I thought it was you who had come to find me,
You were the wind.

The poem has two stanzas with four verses each. The rhyme scheme is a b c b d e f e.  The second and fourth verses of each stanza rhyme. The narrator is woken by the sound of the wind. The wind rushing by trees sounds like the sound of the sea. The wind brings back memories, but the narrator realizes that no one has found her. Only the wind is present.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...