Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Decisive Sacrifice

I used a decisive sacrifice to defeat my opponent in a game of speed chess at chess.com.  He was Pindours of France who played black.  Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 d6
2. d4 Nf6
3. Nc3 Nbd7
4. f4 e5

I play f4 to gain more control of the centre and black immediately challenges it.

5. Nf3 c6
6. Bd3 Qc7
7. 0-0 Be7

With the black king in the centre, I decide to begin a series of captures to create open lines of attack.

8. fxe dxe
9. dxe Nxe5
10. Nxe5 Qxe5
11. Bf4 Qd4+

The check is harmless.

12. Kh1 0-0
13. e5 Bg4

Though the black king is attacked, black hopes to gain time by forcing my queen to move.  The problem for black is that the black queen is unprotected and I have a move at my disposal to take full advantage.

14. Bxh7+

I sacrifice my bishop to gain the black queen.  With no desire to continue without the queen, black resigns.  His failure to protect his queen is the reason for his quick defeat.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...