Saturday, January 21, 2012

Victory with Rapid Development

In a game of speed chess at chess.com, I developed my pieces much more rapidly than my opponent. This propelled me to a quick victory. My opponent was Romano of Canada who played black. Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 d6
3. Bc4 Bg4

Black makes a committal move. Developing a knight first is more flexible. This move also allows the sacrifice Bxf7+. If black accepts the sacrifice, I can play Ng5+ and capture the bishop on g4 to gain a pawn. I play a different move.

4. h3 Bxf3
5. Qxf3 Qf6

Black allows me to develop my queen. I do not wish to exchange because I prefer to maintain a strong attack.

6. Qb3 b6
7. 0-0 Ne7
8. d4 Nbc6

I prepare to sacrifice a pawn to open a diagonal for my dark-squared bishop.

9. dxe Qxe5

Black makes a mistake. A better move is Nxe5 which attacks my bishop on c4. Black's move allows Bxf7+ but I decide to develop another piece.

10. Nc3 d5
11. exd Nxd5

Black makes another mistake. I have three pieces that target d5 but black has only two.

12. Nxd5 Nd4
13. Qa4+ b5

This move loses material. Kd8 is better.

14. Bxb5+ Nxb5
15. Qxb5+ Kd8
16. Bf4 Qe8

Black wants to exchange queens, but I have a better move.

17. Bxc7+

Black resigns. He is forced to play Kc8. I then capture his queen with Qxe8+. This leaves black with a severe material deficit, so he decides to concede. In this game my rapid development and control of the centre are key factors in my victory.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...