Friday, January 6, 2012

Excellent Bishops

In a game of speed chess at chessgames.com, my bishops were instrumental in my victory. My opponent was Arcenciel35 of Cameroon who played white. Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 d6
3. d4 cxd
4. Nxd4 a6

I want to prevent Bb5+.

5. Nc3 Nf6
6. Bc4 e6
7. Bb3 Nc6

White's move does not help his development. Better moves are Bg5 and 0-0.

8. Be3 Be7
9. Qe2 Bd7
10. 0-0-0 0-0
11. Kb1 b5
12. Nxc6 Bxc6
13. Bg5 b4

White should advance his kingside pawns.

14. Bxf6 Bxf6
15. Na4 a5

White is forced to move the knight to a4.

16. c3 Re8

White makes a move which weakens the protection of the white king.

17. f4 Qd7

White finally moves a kingside pawn. I make a move which aims to force the knight to move so that I can advance my queenside pawns.

18. Nb6 Qb7

On my seventeenth move I overlook the knight fork which attacks my queen and rook.

19. Nxa8 Bxe4+

Instead of recapturing the knight, I decide to put the king in check.

20. Ka1 bxc

I now threaten to mate with bxc.

21. bxc Bxc3+
22. Qb2 Bxb2+

White is forced to give up the queen.

23. Kxb2 a4

With the white bishop pinned, white decides to resign. A better move for me is Bd5 which also pins the white bishop and protects the d6 pawn, but my move is adequate. With no queen, a pinned bishop and an inactive knight in the corner, white does not wish to continue. In this game my bishops control much of the board and play a big role in my victory.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...