Thursday, August 5, 2010

Victory with a Fork

A fork in chess is an attack on two or more pieces at the same time. In my chess game against Asada of Georgia, I fork his king and queen with my bishop to end the game. In this game I play white. Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. d4 d5
2.c4 dxc

I sacrifice my c-pawn to gain greater control of the centre with e4.

3. e4 e6
4. Bxc4 Nc6

I regain my pawn.

5. Nf3 Bb4+
6. Nc3 a6
7. a3 Bxc3+
8. bxc3 Nf6

I control the centre but the black knight attacks e4.

9. Bg5 h6
10. Bxf6 Qxf6
11. 0-0 0-0
12. a4 Na5

I want to prevent b5. Black's move attacks my bishop but this is a bad move because I can easily move the bishop to safety and the black knight is now far from the centre.

13. Ba2 b6
14. Re1 Bb7
15. Ne5 Qe7

My move threatens to fork the rook and queen with Nd7. Black sees this and moves the queen.

16. f4 f6

The move f6 attacks my knight but it is a mistake because now my knight has access to g6.

17. Ng6 Qd7

I fork the queen and rook. Black moves his queen to safety.

18. Nxf8 Rxf8
19. Qg4 Nc6

I target the weak e6 pawn. It is pinned because if it moved the black king would be in check. Black fails to see the danger. Here he needs to protect the pawn with Re8 or Kf7.

20. Bxe6+

Black resigns because he cannot save his queen. The keys to victory in this game are my control of the centre, the fork by my knight which wins a rook and the devastating fork by my bishop to win the black queen. Black makes a critical mistake with the move Na5. It decentralizes his knight and takes it out of the game.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...