Friday, December 21, 2018

Mate in 13 Moves

In a game of speed chess against Maryder of the USA, I mated in thirteen moves. My opponent played black. Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 e6
2. d4 c6
3. Nf3 d5

Black challenges my centre.

4. exd cxd
5. c4 dxc
6. Bxc4 Nc6
7. Nc3 g6
8. d5 Nb4
9. 0-0 e5

The black king is exposed.

10. Bb5+ Nc6
11. Re1+ Ne7
12. Nxd5 a6

Both black knights are pinned. Black has no time to play a6. He needs to play Bg7 to prevent my next move.

13. Nf6#

Black gains a pawn early but fails to prevent mate. On my thirteenth move, he probably expects Ba4 or Bc4. My thirteenth move takes away the black king's only escape square.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...