Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Offensive Struggle

I played a game of speed chess that was an offensive struggle from start to finish.  My opponent, Eastlynne of the USA, played white.  Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 c5
2. d4 cxd
3. Qxd4 Nc6
4. Qd1 e5
5. Nf3 Bc5

White is behind in development.

6. c4 Nf6
7. Nc3 h6

I prevent Bg5.

8. Be2 0-0
9. 0-0 a6
10. Nh4 Nd4

Here I should play d6 to free my light-squared bishop.

11. Nf5 Nxe2+

I also consider the move Nxf5.  In hindsight this move seems better than Nxe2 because the white knight on f5 is a real threat to my king.

12. Qxe2 d6

I finally free my light-squared bishop.

13. Bxh6 Bxf5

I decline the sacrifice of the bishop because I do not want to lose the pawn shield around my king.

14. Bxg7 Kxg7

This time I accept the sacrifice.  White's move is a surprise.  I expect exf5.  My king is more exposed than white's but I have more material.

15. exf5 Rh8
16. h3 Qd7
17. Qf3 Qc6

With a little more material than white, I offer to exchange queens.

18. Qg3+ Kf8
19. Qg5 Ke7

I decide to defend the knight with my king but this is a bad move.  It is much better to play Ne4.  The problem with Ke7 is that white can play Nd5+ on his next move and win my knight. 

20. Rae1 Rag8

White fails to play Nd5+, a superior move to Rae1. 

21. Qd2 Qxg2#

The best move for white is Qxg8.  In his desire to save his queen, white fails to notice that I can mate his king. 

Without question, I am lucky to win this game.  My eleventh move, Nxe2+, and my nineteenth move, Ke7, are both mistakes.  However, white also plays bad moves.  The move that he fails to play on his twentieth move, Nd5+, probably wins him the game.  I emerge victorious because his mistakes are more crucial than mine.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...