Sunday, December 2, 2012

Winning the Queen

In a game of speed chess against Spverma of India, who played black,  he resigned after losing his queen.  Though my queen was threatened, I ignored the threat because I was able to capture his queen with check.  Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 a6
4. Ba4 Nf6
5. 0-0 h6

I ignore the threat on my e4 pawn because I want to develop.  Black plays a move that ignores development.  A better move for black is Be7.

6. d4 exd

With the black king in the centre, I decide to open the centre of the board.

7. Nxd4 d5

I now attack c6 with two pieces.  Here black needs to play Bd7.

8. Nxc6 bxc6
9. Bxc6+ Bd7
10. Bxa8 dxe

Black's last move closes the centre, but this is only temporary.

11. Bxe4 Nxe4
12. Re1 Qe7

I pin the knight and black decides to protect the pinned knight with his queen.  A better move is Be7.

13. Nc3 Bf5
14. f3 Qc5+

The check presents no danger.

15. Be3 Nxc3

Perhaps black expects an exchange of queens with 16. Bxc5 and ...Nxd1.  However, I can delay the capture of the knight because I have a move that captures with check.

16. Bxc5+

Black must respond to the check by blocking or moving the king.  This allows me to capture his knight on the following move.  With no queen and a miserable position, black decides to resign.

The turning point in this game is my ninth move, Bxd6+.  This fork of the king and rook puts black on the defensive.  My final move, Bxc5+, convinces him that the game is lost because it increases my material advantage.
 

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...