Sunday, September 16, 2012

Winning with the pin

The pin is one of the tactics of chess.  In a game of speed chess versus Texascanyon of the USA, I used the pin to win the game.  In this game, Texascanyon played black.  Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1.  e4 e5
2.  Nf3 c6

Black's second move is not common.  The c6 square is often used for the knight.

3.  Bc4 d6

Black has yet to develop a piece.

4.  d4 exd
5.  Nxd4 d5

I have a clear lead in development.

6.  exd cxd
7.  Bb5+ Bd7
8.  Qe2+ Be7

The king bishop is pinned.

9.  0-0 Nf6
10. Nf5 Bxb5

Black cannot castle because this would lose a piece.

11. Qxb5+ Nc6

Now the queen knight is pinned.

12. Nxg7+ Kf8

The check takes away black's right to castle.

13. Nf5 Rg8
14. Bh6+ Ke8
15. Re1 Ne4

The knight breaks the pin on the bishop.

16. f3 Bc5+

Black wants to play actively but the check is a blunder.  The reason is that the knight is now pinned.  A better move for black is to move the knight.

17. Qxc5

My queen is immune to capture because of the pin on the knight.  With this move, I am up a piece and black decides to resign.

The pin is a very effective tactical tool at the chess player's disposal.  In this game, I use the pin to disrupt my opponent's plans and find a path to victory.  In fact, my final move succeeds because of the pin on the black knight.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...