Monday, November 7, 2011

Miscalculation

Many chess games are lost because of miscalculation. Such was the case in a game of speed chess at chess.com. My opponent was FaduljoseA of the Phillipines who played white. Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 d6
3. d4 cxd
4. Nxd4 Nf6
5. Nc3 a6

I prevent Bb5+.

6. Bg5 e6
7. Bc4 Be7
8. 0-0 Nc6
9. Nxc6 bxc6

White makes a mistake. The capture Nxc6 allows me to strengthen my pawn centre.

10. a3 0-0
11. Re1 h6
12. Bh4 Bb7

The white bishops are more active than mine.

13. h3 Qc7
14. Ba2 Rad8
15. Ne2 Rfe8

Black's last two moves are passive.

16. f3 Nh7

I want to exchange white's active bishop for my passive bishop.

17. Bxe7 Qxe7

I am happy to exchange bishops.

18. Nf4 d5
19. exd cxd
20. Nxd5 Qc5+

White miscalculates. He plays Nxd5 because if I play exd5, I lose my queen. However, I can safely play Bxd5. What white fails to notice is that he cannot win material. My queen is protected and I have two pieces attacking d5. I can play Bxd5 but I first decide to put his king in check and attack the pinned knight with my queen. With the realization that he will lose material, white resigns.

White loses because he fails to see that his combination is flawed. He thinks he can exploit my inability to play exd5 but does not notice that my protected queen prevents a gain of material. This is the difference in the game.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...