Saturday, June 18, 2011

Attacking Chess

I recently played a game of speed chess at chess.com in which I attacked my opponent from the outset. The result was a game which ended in resignation after my 24th move. My opponent was Roxy of Jamaica who played black. Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 d5
2. exd Qxd5
3. Nc3 Qa5
4. Nf3 Bg4

Black pins my knight but only for one move.

5. Be2 c6

Black makes an unusual move. Nc6 is far more popular.

6. 0-0 Nf6
7. h3 Bf5

Black decides to keep the bishop.

8. d3 h5

Black's move weakens his kingside.

9. Bd2 Qc7
10. Nd4 Bh7

Black moves the bishop again.

11. a4 e6

I play a4 to prevent expansion on the queenside with b5.

12. Bxh5 Nxh5

Black makes the move I want. Now I can win a pawn.

13. Qxh5 Qb6

Black threatens my pawn and knight but he should tend to the safety of his king with a move such as Be7 or Bc5 which permits castling on the following move.

14. Nxe6 g6

My knight cannot be captured because fxe6 puts black in check. Black's move creates a double attack but the black king is still in the centre.

15. Qe2 fxe6

Black has more material but the black king is too exposed.

16. Qxe6+ Be7
17. Bg4 Qc7

I pin the bishop.

18. Rfe1 Bg8

Black desperately tries to chase away my queen.

19. Qxe7+ Qxe7

Black's move is forced.

20. Rxe7+ Kf8

My rook and bishop are beautifully coordinated. Every black piece is on the back rank.

21. Rae1 Na6
22. Rxb7 Nc5

Black attacks my rook but this move is a mistake. I prepare a fork.

23. Be7+ Kg7
24. Bxc5+

Black decides to resign. I am up a knight and four pawns and black has three isolated pawns. With such a dismal position, he realizes the game is over. I win this game because of my superior pawn structure, good coordination of my pieces and well-protected king. At the moment of resignation, the three black pieces are on the back rank and the rooks are not connected. Black fails to develop them and I take advantage.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...