Friday, March 12, 2010

Exciting Game of Chess

In the summer of 2009 I played a memorable game of chess at letsplaychess.com. My opponent was Soccerdad of the USA who played white. The game was memorable because he made moves that took me by surprise and we both had attacking opportunities. Now I will provide the moves of the game along with my commentary.

1. e4 c5
2. Bc4 e6

I play e6 so that the white bishop cannot attack f7.

3. d4 cxd
4. Nf3 Nf6

To my surprise, white does not immediately recapture my pawn but it is not going anywhere so developing a knight seems fine. I want white to advance his e-pawn on his next move in the hope that it will prove to be overextended. If he advances it, I then plan to play Ne4 and then d5 to protect it.

5. Qxd4 Nc6
6. Qd1 Nxe4

White is not only down a pawn but has no centre pawns left.

7. 0-0 Bc5
8. c3 d5

White's last pawn takes away an ideal square for the queen knight.

9. Bb5 0-0
10. Bxc6 bxc

White's last move allows me to establish greater control over the centre.

11. Ne5 Qb6
12. Na3 Ba6

White's knight on a3 would be better placed on d2 where it could challenge my powerful knight on e4. I have a lot of firepower directed at the white king.

13. Nd7 Bxf2+

White's move completely takes my by surprise. It is a triple fork which attacks my rook, queen and bishop. I do not need to move my queen right away, though, because I can force white to reply to my check.

14. Kh1 Qc7

Now I move my queen but I cannot save my rook.

15. Nxf8 Bxf1
16. Qg4 Kxf8

I expect white to play Qxf1 but he ignores my light-squared bishop.

17. c4 Bc5

Maybe white wants me to play dxc which makes it possible for him to play Qxe4. I vacate the f2 square so that I can threaten Nxf2+ on my next move and win the white queen.

18. Qf3 Bd3

My last move sets a trap. White cannot play Qxd3 because then I can play Nxf2+ and win the white queen.

19. Bf4 Qb6
20. Bg3 f5

White adds more protection to f2.

21. h4 Qxb2
22. Rd1 Nxg3+
23. Qxg3 Be4
24. Rg1 Bxa3

White makes a bad move. He wants to add more protection to g2 but on g1 his rook is very passive and subject to capture by my bishop. However, I decide to capture his knight instead.

25. h5 Bc5
26. Re1 Bf2

I fork the white queen and rook.

27. Qd6+ Kf7

My last move fails to defend my king. White takes advantage and puts me in check.

28. Qd7+ Kf6

White puts me in check again but his queen has no assistance and no more checks.

29. Rxe4 Qb1+

White sacrifices his rook in what appears to be an act of desperation. I calculate that I do not need the rook because I have mate in two.

30. Kh2 Qg1+
31. Kh3 Qh1#

The keys to victory in this game are my control of the centre and powerful attack against the white king. White makes a few moves which I do not expect but fortunately, I am able to overcome them. In the end, his exposed king and failure to control the centre lead to his demise.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...