Thursday, November 19, 2009

Decisive Victory in Chess

I recently won a chess game at letsplaychess.com against Ruach, an opponent from the United Kingdom. He played white and I played black. In this game, I used a deadly check to force his resignation. Here are the moves of the game along with my commentary:

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bc4 e6

I play e6 so that the white bishop cannot target f7.

4. d3 Qc7
5. Ng5 e6

White's fifth move is bad. The knight is unsupported on g5. I decide to attack the white knight so that white is forced to retreat it.

6. Nf3 Bd6
7. g3 Nge7

White's seventh move serves little purpose. Developing a piece such as the knight on b8 is more sensible.

8. g4 f6

White moves his pawn to g4 in two moves when he can done so in one. This is a loss of time. I play f6 to counter his pawn attack.

9. h4 b6

White begins a pawn attack while I prepare to fianchetto my light-squared bishop.

10. Nc3 a6
11. d4 cxd

My eleventh move is the first capture of the game.

12. Nxd4 Bb7
13. Nxc6 Bxc6
14. f3 Bg3+

I check white's king to take the initiative and prevent the option of castling.

15. Ke2 b5

With my latest move I gain more space.

16. Bd3 Kf7

I move my king forward to connect my rooks. I decide not to castle because black has the potential to launch a strong attack on both wings.

17. g5 Be5
18. gxf gxf

Now the g-file is open.

19. Qf1 Ng6

I position my knight closer to white's king. It can now check white on f5 if white does not move his king.

20. Qg2 Rag8

My rook is now on the same file as the white queen.

21. a4 Nf4+

My check prepares a discovered attack on the white queen by my rook.

22. Bxf4 0-1

White captures my knight and then resigns. I can play Rxg7+, a devastating move which captures the queen and puts the king in check at the same time.

In this king white begins a premature pawn attack because his king is too exposed. He also makes moves which have no clear purpose and end up losing him time. He fails to see that my check on his king leads to a discovered attack on his queen. This forces his quick resignation.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...