Saturday, January 12, 2019

Maieutics

Answering questions with questions is known as maieutics. This can also be termed the Socratic method. The question is an indirect answer which can be determined with critical thinking. The following are examples of questions answered with questions:

Did you take your medicine? Do I ever forget?

Can you help me? Have I ever refused?

Can I have some water? What kind of question is that?

Are you tired? Did I sleep well last night?

Did you like the food? Did you?

Questions can be answered with questions. The implication is often that the person who asks the question should know the answer. This method of answering questions tends to be used in informal situations.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...