Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Poem by A.A. Milne (Now We Are Six)

The English writer is well-known for his stories of Winnie the Pooh. However, he also wrote many poems. One of them is Now We Are Six. Here it is:

Now We Are Six

When I was one,
I had just begun.
When I was two,
I was nearly new.
When I was three,
I was hardly me.
When I was four,
I was not much more.
When I was five,
I was just alive.
But now I am six,
I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six now
for ever and ever.

The poem consists of one stanza with fourteen verses.  In the first ten verses the odd and even verses rhyme with one another. However, in the last four verses, only the even verses rhyme. The poem Now We Are Six expresses the joy of being a child.


No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...