Friday, January 24, 2020

Indefinite Article

The term indefinite article is misleading. Many assume that it refers to nothing in particular. However, this is seldom the case.

Consider the sentence There is a spider in the bathroom. In this case, the speaker is referring to a very specific insect. In the sentence I know a lady who always wears colourful hats, the speaker is referring to a particular woman with a particular taste in clothes.

In certain cases, however, the indefinite article does not have a specific reference. This is the case with the sentence I want a good job. The grammatical context reveals if the reference is specific or not.

The following sentences on the left have a specific reference, but the ones on the right do not:

Kevin is dating a nice woman. Kevin is looking for a nice woman.
She is slicing a juicy pineapple. I enjoy a juicy pineapple.
I see a red Ferrari. I want a red Ferrari.
I witnessed a bad accident. I fear a bad accident.

The sentence I am looking for a tie is potentially ambiguous. If the speaker continues with I've found it, the noun phrase a tie has a specific reference. However, if the speaker continues with I found one, the noun phrase has no specific reference.

Despite its name, the indefinite article often has a specific reference. The grammatical context makes it clear whether the reference is specific or not. The definite article is thus not the only one with a specific reference.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...