Sunday, June 12, 2016

Peace

The American Sara Teasdale wrote the poem Peace. Here it is:

Peace flows into me
As the tide to the pool by the shore;
It is mine forevermore,
It will not ebb like the sea.

I am the pool of blue
That worships the vivid sky;
My hopes were heaven-high,
They are all fulfilled in you.

I am the pool of gold
When sunset burns and dies--
You are my deepening skies;
Give me your stars to hold.

The poem is divided into three stanzas with four verses each. The rhyme scheme is a,b,b,a. Peace describes an inner peace which is compared to the tide of the ocean. It is eternal and the writer's hopes are all fulfilled. Even when the sunset has ended, the writer is filled with peace and love.

Sarah Teasdale's Peace describes a profound love which grows over time. The poem is full of beautiful imagery such as the stars of the sky, the tide of the ocean and the golden sun. The imagery and elegance of the poem make it a classic.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...