Monday, November 5, 2012

Victory in Chess

In a game of speed chess against Timmy Forsberg of Sweden, I forced resignation on his 21st move.  In this game he played black.  It was an open game with many captures.  Here are the moves along with my commentary:

1.  e4 c5
2. d4 d6

Here it is common for black to play cxd.  If black does not wish to capture, e6 is possible.  The move d6 does not effectively challenge white's control of the centre.

3. Nf3 Bg4
4. Be2 Bxf3

Black helps me to develop.

5. Bxf3 cxd
6. Qxd4 Nc6
7. Qc3 e5

I place my queen on the ideal square for my queen knight.  The move Qa4 is better.

8. 0-0 d5
9. exd Bb4
10. Qb3 Nd4

Black forks my queen and bishop.

11. Qxb4 Nxc2

Nxf3+ is a better move for black.  He forks my queen and rook but the move is a mistake.

12. Qa4+ b5
13. Qxc2 Nf6
14. Nc3 b4

Black is aggressive with the pawn but it is overextended.

15. Qa4+  Ke7
16. Qxb4+ Ke8
17. Qb5+ Qd7

Down in material, black should not offer to exchange queens.  A better move is Kf8.

18. Qxd7+ Nxd7

I am happy to exchange queens.

19. Re1 f6
20. d6 Rf8

My move takes away the e7 square for the black king and allows my bishop to threaten the rook on a8.

21. Bxa8

With his material deficit and his exposed king, black decides to resign.  Black makes a number of aggressive moves in this game such as Nxc2 on his eleventh move, but he does so at the expense of his development and the safety of his king.  My twelfth move, Qa4+, which leads to the loss of black's knight, is one of the key moves of the game.

No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...