Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Verbs Negated With Not

Most English verbs are negated with the auxiliary verb do and the adverb of negation not. They can be contracted to don't. However, a few verbs follow a different pattern. They are negated in the same manner as modal verbs. The verb is followed by the adverb not.

The adverb not is used to negate modals. Examples include can not, may not, might notmust not and should not. This is also the pattern with verbs such as guess, hope and suppose. Compare the sentences I do not know and I hope not. The second sentence is negated in the same way as modal verbs.

The sentence I am afraid can be negated in two different ways. If the meaning is the equivalent of I have no fear, the negation is I am not afraid. On the other hand, if the sentence has the meaning of I regret it, the correct negation is I'm afraid not..

Examples can be given to illustrate the difference. In response to the question Are you afraid of heights, the answer might be No, I'm not afraid of heights. However, in response to the question Can you attend the meeting?, the answer might be I'm afraid not. This expresses regret that the response is negative.

Though English verbs are usually negated with do and not before the verb, not all follow this pattern. Verbs such as guess, hope and suppose are negated in the same manner as modal verbs. They are thus negated with the adverb not following the verb. 


No comments:

Featured Post

Finding the Proto-Form

Related languages have a number of words which are similar to one another. In the branch of linguistics known as historical linguistics, the...